The drive to the hospital to go have a baby is so surreal! Chris and I loaded the car and the whole 20 minute drive were talking about what was about to happen. Everyone was so excited for us and kept asking if we were excited, and of course we were, but now looking back we were clueless about what was about to happen to us. I remember Sarah kept asking how excited we were with a huge smile on her face and I thought, I mean yes I'm excited...but now looking back I understand so much better why Sarah and everyone else was so excited for us...there is nothing cooler or more fun than having a baby!!
We got to the hospital and waited in the waiting room for about 20 minutes while they prepared for us.
It was all so exciting because we knew this was huge and a big deal and it just all felt like slow motion. Pretty much right away they got me started on IVs and we were off!! I felt great until the nurse checked me. That is one major thing that ALL my friends and sisters forgot to mention...getting checked hurts like hell (at least it hurst like hell, until I learned the pain of contractions)!! So then, we were settled in at 10am I got my first dose of meds to induce labor and then really not much happened until I got my next dose 4 hours later. I didn't sleep, but luckily Chris was able to sleep a little.
The second does of the meds really got things rolling for me. From 2-3am I was dealing with the contractions on my own, while Chris snoozed. I was watching The Help on tv meanwhile which has totally made me feel different about the movie...that movie will now only remind me of my labor with Harper! Then at 3am I woke Chris up because I was in enough pain that I needed some help, encouragement and strength from him. For about an hour I benefited from pain medication, thank the lord! My contractions were intense and about a minute a part for hours. OUCH!! At a certain point, I was not allowed to get the pain meds and could not get the epidural yet because they didn't think I was far enough along. So after about 4 hours of really intense and painful contractions it was time for the epidural.
That last hour, I got to the point where I couldn't talk to anyone coming in the room, they kept asking me questions and I just had to look at Chris to answer because I couldn't focus enough to thing or answer anyone. Why the heck they ask you questions, when they can all clearly see you are in 10 pain, is beyond me!
For me, the epidural was insanely awesome! The relief was awesome and one hour after getting the epidural, the nurse told us we were ready to go!!
WHAT?!! I knew it was coming, but when they say, "Okay, you are complete. It's time!" The feeling is indescribable! Chris and I looked at each other with huge smiles and were just so excited! We didn't know if that meant we would have Harper in 10 minutes or 5 hours, but I did know that I needed to brush my teeth and put some sort of make up on! I can't be having my baby meet me with rank breath and bags under my eyes ;) I felt pretty silly as I was sitting there in stirrups brushing my teeth and putting bronzer on, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!
Now this is the part that all my girlfriends tell me not to share, but honestly the pushing was a blast, not painful and it was a time that Chris and I were laughing through. My doctor is really laid back and super nice so the room in general was positive, excited and joyous. After 3 rounds of pushing I saw my baby girl!! The overwhelming about of love I felt for Harper was instant and I couldn't believe that! The first thing I thought was, OMG she looks exactly like her daddy! And I first noticed her incredible dimples as they lifted her over me and to the little crib. I couldn't take my eyes off of her and Chris and I were smiling, crying and just kept checking on each other.
Harper was here and we couldn't be happier!
 |
| Harper's first day |
 |
| Daddy changing the first diaper |
 |
| Bonding |
 |
| In love instantly! |
 |
| Just love these two! |
 |
| Harper and her dad! |
 |
| He was hooked right away! |
 |
| Harper, Lucy and Grammie |
 |
| Harper's AWESOME pediatrician! We love Dr O! |
 |
Lucy was totally in love and obsessed with Harper, my mom
and sister had to fight Lucy for time to hold Harper! |
 |
| Harper and Bear |
 |
| My sweet visitors! |
 |
| 3 generations! |
 |
| Grammie with her 7th grandbaby! |
 |
This pic makes me think of Chris' dad, who loved the
newspaper. |
 |
| Harper Hope Reilly |
 |
| Going home outfit! |
goosebumps all over again!!
ReplyDelete