Monday, September 20, 2010

Am I getting old...

On Saturday night Chris and I went to St. Augustine for a concert! St. Augustine is an hour north of us and is the oldest city in the country! It is really cool and quaint and I will suggest to all future visitors to take a trip there next time they visit us! We went for an O.A.R. concert which is a band I have liked since high school.
We had an awesome dinner at a new eclectic restaurant called The Floridian. It was a funky little place with awesome food and I think I had the best salad of my life and I even loved the fish Chris ordered! So dinner was awesome and then we headed to the concert.
First let me set it up a bit! So Chris knows and likes OAR too, but I am definitely more of the fan. I could tell he was happy to go, but more so because he knew I wanted to go which I appreciate! Anyway, he had made a couple comments about how we were probably going to be old at the concert and that there were going to be a bunch of high school and college kids there. Well...that was not the case.
We quickly realized that most people were between our age and about 45. We thought oh okay fun! Then you start seeing what people "our age" look like at a concert. Here is what I discovered!

You know you're old when...
You are embarrassed for the people who are singing and dancing to the music - because they look ridiculous!

You know you're old when...
You go to a concert where the average age is about 40

You know you're old when...
You see 40 year old man dancing with boat shoes, a beer belly and the famous white man's over bite (you know the white man's over bite as demonstrated in "When Harry Met Sally")

You know you're old when...
You see guys with backwards hats on and think how young they must be!

You know you're old when...
You are yawning during a rock concert

You know you're old when...
You look at your husband and he is rubbing his forehead and looks bored during a concert. (In Chris' defense when he realized I was looking at him he quickly put on a happy face and started a head bob as if he was loving the music)

You know you're old when...
You are excited that you got a good parking spot which will allow you to miss all the traffic after the show!

You know you're old when...
You get a headache after 2 drinks

You know you're old when...
You lean over to your husband to say "Could you understand what he just said?" and neither of you have a clue.

You know you're old when...
You are at a concert that people brought their children to

You know you're old when...
You wish all the drunk people would settle down a bit

So now having said all of this, obviously I know I am not really old, but it was one of those times when you think "Okay I am in a different place than I was last time I was at a concert!" I love the place I am at and Chris does too!
I loved having a great parking spot and I loved the lovely dinner before the concert and I loved people watching at the concert! I think all the 40 something men who were jammin out spilling beer all over their loafers with not socks on are probably wonderful people, but they still looked like jackholes trying to relive their 20s!! Sorry! Truth hurts! ;)

I will absolutely go to another concert because I love music and I love that atmosphere! I think I will just be a little more prepared and will be a little more picky about who I go see! Here is my list of concerts I really hope to go to someday!
1. James Taylor
2. Jay-Z
3. Ben Folds
4. Kenny Chesney
5. Brad Paisley
What a RANDOM list!!!

PS - This background is to acknowledge that it is still full swing of summer down in Florida! Mid-90s everyday and still hot! I am not complaining at all, but it is just weird watching football and seeing people in sweatshirt!!! We are still about 2 months from sweatshirts here! Crazy!




1 comment: