It's been months since my last posting, but I have some good reasons. My last post was in mid-Decemeber so I have a lot of catching up to do.
To be honest I was less interested in blogging towards the end of last year and early this year because we were faced with some challenges that aren't exactly good blog material.
Chris and I found out we were pregnant in September of 2011 and then at our first doctor's appointment things didn't look quite as expected. About a week later I had a miscarriage. It was devastating and it took us sometime before we could handle watching a Johnson and Johnson commercial. You never realize how much baby and pregnancy stuff come about until it is the very last thing you want to see! The notes and support we got from those who knew about this was so important to us. This pain was deep and honestly, caught both Chris and I off guard; the support meant so much to us.
Chris and I decided before the holidays that we had to go on a vacation to help shake the miscarriage sadness. Well, Key West certainly helped with that! We had a wonderful time together and we even were able to bring Diddy! We went parasailing, snorkeling, shopping, eating, fishing, drinking and scooter-ing?! We went to museums and to the dog beach and just had an absolute blast. Key West is awesome, funky, laid back and interesting! It was such a wonderful trip!
Some pictures are below, plus did I mention I caught an 8 foot shark?!!! Oh yes, here is the video. It is over 4 minutes so don't feel like you have to watch it. Warning there may be minor profanity, you will see why!
Megan Catching Shark Don't even get me started on why I don't have a picture with me and the shark. Our fishing guide had cut the liter, lassoed the tail of the shark and was pulling it in the boat, when the lasso came off...see ya shark! The shark was wider than the width of the boat and really I just think our guide didn't really want to deal with the huge shark in the boat...waaa waaa.
 |
| Beautiful Drive to Key West |
 |
| Key Lime Pie in Key West |
 |
| From the tallest building in Key West at sunset! |
 |
| 1/2 day fishing trip. |
 |
| At our favorite restaurant |
 |
| Classic Key West House Decorated for Christmas |
 |
| Turns out it was 5 o'clock often! |
The holidays were in Tulsa and New Jersey! We spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey and were in Tulsa for Christmas, it's always so great to be with our family and between our three sisters there are just babies and kids everywhere! We were loving it and got some great quality time!
Kind of back tracking a bit, after the miscarriage Chris and I decided we needed a new focus and goal in life. So we decided to train for a marathon! That's right two non-runners just decided to start running one day. We had no idea what was ahead for us, but this goal was so awesome for both of us! We trained from late October until the marathon on February 19th. That is also a great way not to let holiday weight sneak up on you!! Here are some things we learned about as we became runners for a few months...goo is important, good shoes mean everything, cotton socks are rotten socks, sports massages can get you through injuries, injuries and weird pains are normal, music playlists will get you through the tough 12-20 miles training runs, brutal tans lines are inevitable, you will get addicted!
Then in January I was so lucky to be able to go to NYC with my sisters! It was the most fun ever and we didn't stop while we were there! 3 Broadway shows, shopping, awesome food, sights, makeover, Live with Kelly, a visit to where Chris proposed, etc! Seriously, the best trip ever!
 |
We were there early January, right before the tree was taken down!
|
 |
| Makeovers! So fun! |
 |
| Chicago, Rock of Ages & Anything Goes |
 |
| Best sisters ever! |
 |
| Drinks before the show |
 |
| Night 1 in time square...with a new friend? |
 |
| At Live with Kelly! Reggie Bush and Mark Wallberg |
 |
| Jennie stalking Spiderman so she could show Gannon! |
 |
| The Gapstow bridge in Central park where Chris proposed to me! That's me on the bridge! I love this place! |
 |
| Such a new yorker with my pizza eating! Yes, I bought and love my fake glasses! |
So then fast forward to February 18th. Chris and I were getting ready for our marathon which was the following day in Fort Lauderdale (about 4 hours south of us). I thought, I might as well take a pregnancy test just to check. It was still early for the test, but truly I thought that would be a great distraction for the marathon hours!
Well, guess what...the test was positive and so was the second test and so was the third test and so was the fourth test! That's right 4 tests later I could sort of believe the results! So about 18 hours before I was planning on running 26.2 miles I find out I would have a little running partner with me!!! With the first pregnancy I told Chris we were pregnant by putting a fake label on a jar of tomato sauce, the label said, "Reilly's are Prego". It was fun and cute, but since that pregnancy ended sadly, I just decided to blurt out to Chris that I was pregnant instead of doing some special presentation. The joy of telling and hearing we are pregnant is good enough for us!
We made it down to Fort Lauderdale, woke up bright and early to eat and be ready for the marathon! The whole thing was awesome...actually the last two miles were hell, but other than that it was awesome! I couldn't believe the thousands of other people who were there to run a marathon. Initially, I was shocked there were that many idiots who thought running 26.2 miles was a good idea. Then I realized the majority of those people were far more intelligent than Chris and I because they were running the 1/2 marathon! Chris and I ran together for the first probably 9 miles, then I had to take a bathroom break. Chris went on his way, but have no fear, I caught back up and then...let's just say...I waited at the finish line for about 10 minutes for Chris! That's right, the extra baby power I had pushed me across the line before Chris. Every man family member and friend seem to really enjoy this fact.
The icing on the cake was that my new favorite restaurant, Dos Caminos, was literally at the finish line!! Loved this coincidence!
 |
| Kind of creepy but bad lighting outside our hotel at 5am. Pre-marathon |
 |
| Finish Line! |
 |
| So exhausted after! |
 |
| Proof that it happened! |
 |
Post Marathon! Believe it or not, I look better than I felt!
So after the marathon on a Sunday we had to drive back that same day so Chris could be at work on Monday morning. Sounds easy enough...but oh no! That drive back after the marathon was torture! Chris was cramping the entire way home and we had to stop every 30 minutes to hour just to be able to move our bodies around. We were both in pain from chaffing, sore muscles and blisters everywhere! After the marathon truly I thought...that was the dumbest thing I have ever done. Then the day after I was so happy and proud that we accomplished the goal! I don't recommend a 4 hour drive after running for 5 hours!
So Saturday, we find out we are pregnant, Sunday we run a marathon and then Monday we got the worst news we have ever gotten. Chris' dad had taken a turn with his health and battle with cancer and we needed to come to New Jersey as soon as we could. Chris was there by that night and I was there the next day, Tuesday. We spent 5 horrible, wonderful, sad, scary, emotional, blessed, priceless days in the hospital with Tom before he passed away. Our entire family was by his side, sharing stories, playing his favorite music and being grateful for the things he had brought to our life. One of the greatest gifts for Chris and I is that we were able to tell Tom that we were expecting a baby a few days before he passed away. What a blessing for us.
Tom was one of the most interesting, awesome, hilarious, intelligent, talented, honest and honorable people I have ever known. We miss him so much every day. He had so many interests and was so interesting, that we find ourselves talking about him often. If we hear James Taylor, if we cook a good meal, if we watch a good baseball game, if we see some impressive ballet dancing, if we see Lewis Black, if we hear a funny story...plus so many more things....they all remind us of Tom. There was no better story teller than Tom. His sense of humor was awesome and I love that Chris has the same smart, sense of humor. More than anything Tom loved his family and we all loved him.
So this is where I choose to wrap up this phase of our life. Chris and I were presented with some challenges during this 5 months span, but I couldn't ask for a better husband or relationship with my husband. We got through the highs and lows together and are ready to move forward in our life, with a new perspective.
Some things I have learned since over the past 5 months:
1. Don't ask people when/if they are going to have kids. It's none of your business and you have no idea what they are going through
2. If someone is short with you at the store or driving or something; don't let it bother you, again, who knows what happened in their day.
3. Rely on family when times are tough. Getting through difficult times are easier with support of people who love you.
4. Send notes to people. Even when you don't know what to say, being on the receiving end of support is incredible and touching.
5. A vacation can help shake off some bad vibes
6. Laughter has to always be a part of life
7. Challenging yourself beyond what you imagined being capable of is exhilarating
8. Catching an 8 foot shark is fun and totally scary
9. On vacation drink at lunch
10. Take pictures of good times and bad times
11. Go to the doctor and get all the tests and screens that are recommended - tell your parents and family to do the same
12. Great Nurses are like angels
13. Just because you don't chafe while training does not mean you won't chafe during a marathon
14. Museums can be fun
15. Polydactyl cats exist
16. Parents have good advice - they have already been where you are
17. Little kids you love will put you in a good mood no matter what
18. I have experienced so little of life and have lots to learn
|
Love your post and I loved the things you have learned. Good for all of us to remember and learn. Wish I would have known Tom better - but boy do we love his son!!! I am so pumped about baby R!!! I am amazed by you and Chris so much and blessed to be in your life!
ReplyDelete